Ma Chanpanha is a Khmer singer, songwriter, actor, and author. His hit song is “Forever alone” was released in 2015. Here, he will share his 6 secrets about his life. (Photo credit: ©Steven Gargadennec)
- Panha started having an interest in music when he was 4 years old. During 9th grade, he started composing original songs which were inspired by Mr. Sin Sisamout, a very famous Cambodian singer-songwriter and the late king father Norodom Sihanouk.
- His grandfather was a film producer during the 60s who never wished Panha to work in art sector. His family wanted him to stop yet Panha still followed his passion anyway.
- After finishing 12th grade, Panha studied architecture at Setec University because of the financial crisis and to satisfy his parents. Today, however, he is one of the well-known singer-songwriters throughout the Kingdom.
- He won the second prize at the TVK National Music competition in 2011 and was only the Cambodian artist to be selected by the government in 2015 to perform in Beijing during the China-ASEAN Friendship concert.
- Panha loves film. Whenever he feels depressed, he will go to see a movie.
- Panha’s dream job is to be a film producer like his grandfather. When he reaches 30, he wants to work backstage, not in front of a camera.
Panha hopes that future generations will make their dream come true despite difficult circumstances. He thinks we must try together to preserve Cambodian culture and identity while remaining innovative.
Ma Champanha will be performing on December 14th at the International School of Phnom Penh, during the Audi International Jazz Festival Phnom Penh.
More info on www.facebook.com/InternationalJazzFestivalPhnomPenh